Monday 4 May 2015

Inspiration by Gwyneth - May - Our Family Collection

Good Morning Everybody!

Hi everybody.

I'm back again with another project to hopefully inspire you to get creating, especially if you've lost your mojo or are in a crafting rut.

I used  the "Our Family Collection" kit that was launched on the 1st in the Dragons Lair Designs store.  This collection has a really vintage look that looks good with old photos but can be used for so much more.

I decided to make a "Llyfr o Lyfrnodau" - which is a "Book of Bookmarks" - this time.  I've seen similar "book" ideas made as "brag books", "scrapbooks" or "memory books", but my idea is that this "book" will have its own space on the bookshelf, and any time anybody needs to keep their place in any book they can just fetch a bookmark easily, without having to search high and low, or turn over page corners.  I've put verses from the Welsh Bible on each of the bookmarks.  Of course bookmarks like this could have inspirational quotes on, or lines to make notes on, or anything you wanted.

This is a photo of the outside of the "book" I made:
And this is a photo of the inside:



These are what I used:
.
Stamping Dragon Designs Item:
Items from the "Our Family Collection" available - here - in the store.

Consumables:
250gsm Super Smooth cardstock, Quick Grab Wet Glue, A3 sheet of double sided cardstock - polkadots on one side and check on the other, ultra tacky double sided tape, jute twine - purple and natural, eyelets, FlexMarker - Wild Orchid.
Equipment:
Scissors, My Craft Studio Software, Hougie Board, Crop-a-Dial.

This is what I did:
I decided that I wanted to use one colour family with the vintage colours of this collection and chose purple shades.  I took the double sided A3 cardstock and cut and scored it to the dimensions in this sketch.


I then folded it so that the narrower strips were valleys and the 1cm areas were mountain folds.  I put ultra tacky tape and stuck the mountain backs together to leave me with a cover front and back with five stuck together peaks.  To cover the outside of the spine I turned the strip I'd cut so that the other side was showing, scored around 2cm in from one edge, stuck it to the outside of the front and spine, scored where the back was and wrapped it around and stuck to the back.

I then used My Craft Studio software to resize some background panels to make the inside "pages" of my book and printed them out onto Super Smooth white cardstock.  These were cut out and stuck back to back to the peaks inside the book to make sturdy pages.  I went around the edges with a FlexMarker to take off the white cut edge look. I printed out the same background as the pages slightly smaller, and also made a plac for the front of the book, which says "Llyfr O Lyfrnodau" (Book of Bookmarks), which I cut out and stuck to the front of the book.

 I took an element that looked like a torn piece of paper into my software and resized it before printing it out 10 times.  These were cut out and then stuck on both sides and bottom onto each of the pages using ultra tacky tape.  These made the pockets for my bookmarks to be stored in.
The bookmarks themselves were made using two different tag shapes from the collection which I used the software to resize, add a different element from the kit and a different Biblical verse to each one, and then print out.  I used a Crop-a-Dial to punch a hole in each and set and eyelet before making some quick jute twine tassles in two colours and attaching to the bookmarks.  I went round the edge of each bookmark with the FlexMarker before putting them in the pockets.

Here are just a few of the bookmarks I made.  This "Book of Bookmarks" holds 10 bookmarks so should mean that bookmarks are to hand for a while, and I can easeily print out more if all of them vanish with use.


-oOo-
And that is it from me for today.
Please keep coming back regularly to look at new posts as, over the next few weeks, you'll find various "Inspiration by ..." posts appear on this "Dragons Lair Designs Inspiraiton Blog", as well as colouring tutorials and other posts by different Design Team members.  I'll be back with more posts over the coming months as well, so keep an eye out for those.

Stamping Dragon Designs Links
  • If you fancy trying out some of Dragons Lair Designs, please do visit the Store to find all sorts of digital goodies (you'll find great digi-stamps and lots more).
  • We are also on Etsy, so you can pop along - here - to find some Dragons Lair Designs digital downloads.
  • And why not join the "Dragons Lair Designs Fan Group" Facebook group. It's a small, fun, group where we have lots of different activities which include exclusive challenges, daily inspiration and giveaways - and there's a loyalty club for those who take part as well.
  • "Like" Us on Facebook
  • Dragons Lair Designs Challenge Blog : new challenge 1st Friday every month
  • Follow designer Janette Padley on Pinterest!
  • See us on CraftsUPrint

Till next time - Have Fun Crafting!
Dragons Lair Designs Inspiration Blog Design Team Leader
(And if you are wondering "who's Gwyneth?" - then you'll find an "About Me and My Blog!" piece on my blog.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails